FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS1. Age Limit for the classes
2. Class Size
3. Dress Code for class
4. Hair (Male and Female)
5. Class Timetable
6. Class Calendar
7. How are the lessons conducted?
8. What is Expected from Students during Class
9. Missed a lesson?
10. Do you still have lessons if there is Haze?
11. Class Fee
12. How do I make Payment?
13. Are there any discounts?
14. Do you Pro-rate class fees if I can’t make it for a full-term?
15. How much is a Single Lesson for Tryout?
16. Can I just come to observe class?
17. How do I register for class?
18. How can I join your Pointe Class?
19. Where are you located?
20. Is there Parking Available?
21. Refund Policy
22. Changes to Personal Info
24. Personal Data Protection
25. Right to admit, decline or dismiss student(s)
26. Right to use photos and videos
1. Age Limit for the classesAs this is a ballet school for adults, there is no upper age limit as long as you are an adult (18 years and above) and physically fit for exercise.
2. Class SizeMinimum = 10.
Maximum = 20 – 30 depending on Class Level.
3. Dress Code for classStudents have to adhere to our dress code for class to ensure safe dancing and for proper correction to be made by the instructor.
For the Ladies: Ballet leotard (any style and length of sleeves) and tights to be worn in class with ballet slippers.
Chiffon wrap skirt may be worn but must not be longer than the knees.
Not allowed: demi-pointe shoes, leg-warmers, shorts of any kind, 3/4 pants, t-shirts, tank tops, tubes, sports bra.
For the Gentlemen: Tight T-shirts, tights or bike shorts with ballet slippers.
Not allowed: baggy T-shirts, leg-warmers.
However, you may wear any colour but ensure the colours don't clash or cause a distraction when you dance.
Students not suitably dressed for class will be asked to sit down to watch class.
Click here to find where to buy your ballet attire in Singapore.
Click here on how to choose the correct Ballet Slippers (Look under the heading "Ballet Slippers").
4. Hair (Male and Female)Long hair must be tied up in a bun or otherwise and must not cover the face in any way to obstruct your view during movement.
Not allowed: long pony tails, loose braids or long fringes that cover eyes or distracts you when moving. Hair pins must be firmly secured to prevent coming loose and pose a danger for self or others.
5. Class TimetablePlease visit here for Class timing.
6. Class CalendarPlease visit here for Class Calendar. It has the most updated version.
Should there be a change, this calendar will be updated first before any announcement.
Term calendar will only be confirmed one week before Term starts.
Do note that there will be No notification of when there is a lesson and when there isn’t. It is the student's onus to note down the class schedule.
We will only inform the class (via Whatsapp) should there be any last-minute change in the Calendar during the term.
7. How are the lessons conducted?Lessons are conducted in English and French. Steps are all called out in its French terms with explanations in English.
For Beginner Level 1: steps are demonstrated in detail as this is our foundation class. Each step’s French terms are taught and meaning explained along with which muscles to use so that a proper execution and understanding of each step is achieved and learning speeded up.
For all other classes: there are No demonstration of steps as they are already covered at Intro Class. Steps that have already been taught at that level will not be demonstrated. Demonstration and/or explanation is only for New steps being taught. The reason is two-fold:
- Enables students to have a good working knowledge of ballet exercises: know what each step is called in French, the meaning of the French terms and how it should be executed.
- Should students go overseas and take ballet class, they will not be “lost” if French terms are used. Should the teacher there demonstrates the steps, then it is a bonus.
Hence, students are expected to learn and be familiar with the French terminologies. This ensures they are not “handicapped” when they go overseas and attend classes.
As we are using the Vaganova syllabus, there are set exercises to be memorized as well as set port de bras and 8 Directions of the Body which are taught in Beginner Level 1.
8. What is Expected from Students during ClassCome with an attitude to learn (French, rhythm, coordination, alignment, biology, physics, mathematics).
Memorize exercise sets, French terminologies of each step and the 8 Directions of the Body quickly so you can spend time working on technique which is crucial in ballet training and moving from one level to another. Copying someone during every lesson does not equate to learning.
Every student is responsible to remember, know and understand each & every step taught in his/her class, the meaning and proper execution. Always ask the instructor if you are Not clear about a certain step.
Come early to warm up your muscles.
Pay attention in class when instructor is talking/giving a correction even if it is not directed at you. Much can be learned from watching a correction.
Dress appropriately for Class. See item #3 & #4 above.
Be aware of your surrounding when dancing in groups.
Payment of school fees does not “reserve” you a specific spot at the barre. Go to the barre where it is least crowded.
If you are late for a lesson, DO NOT immediately join the class at the barre in the middle of an exercise. This is because you wouldn’t know what has been taught and may disrupt those around you. (Don’t worry, the instructor already knows you are late the moment you enter the studio.) Instead, go to a corner and warm up. Only join in the class when the exercise has ended on both sides.
9. Missed a lesson?With the exception of Beginner Level 1 Class, you can make up lesson as long as it is at the same or lower level within the same category of class, i.e. technique class for technique class; Pointe for Pointe.
You cannot make up technique lesson with Pointe lesson and vice versa.
Make up lesson(s) must be Completed within the Same Term.
You can make up lesson(s) in advance as long as you complete the number of lessons you registered for within the same term.
Make up lesson(s) cannot be brought forward to the next term unless it is for medical reasons that require a long period of rest that extends beyond the current term.
A copy of the relevant Medical Certificate or letter from your doctor is to be emailed to Ballet51 Dance Studio.
Lesson(s) brought forward for the above reason can only be done once.
Exception: If the class you’re registered is Full, you will Not be able to transfer to another term. There are opportunity costs incurred here as your slot could have been given to someone else. Hence, it's best to find a replacement for your slot as the slot was previously reserved for you.
During the last lesson of the term, make up lessons are Not encouraged in classes that are FULL unless for Medical Reasons with document support. Ballet51 Dance Studio reserves the right to refuse entry to those not registered for that class should the class be full that day, beginning with the last person to arrive.
There is No make up lesson for Beginner Level 1 Class as there is no other level the student can go.
Do check with your classmates what you have missed as all our classes (with exception of Beginner Level 1 Class and Pointe Beginner Class) are ongoing classes with new steps or set combinations being taught every once in a while where appropriate.
10. Do you still have lessons if there is Haze?We will postpone lesson(s) when Haze reaches a
“Very Unhealthy Range” of > 200 PSI.
When that happens, we will put a notice at our Online Class Calendar.
11. Class FeePlease see our Class Fees here.
12. How do I make Payment?Once you register online with us at the Class Registration page, we will let you know the payment details.
Payment can be made via Cash, Cheque, ATM Transfer or Internet Banking.
We do not have credit/debit card or NETS facilities.
For cheque payment, please make it out to “Ballet51 Dance Studio” Note that we only accept cheques made out in Singapore Dollars (S$).
For cash and cheque payment, kindly pass directly to me before class.
13. Are there any discounts?Yes, there is.
Please click here under “Discounts” for the different types of discounts available.
14. Do you Pro-rate class fees if I can’t make it for a full-term?Yes we do.
Pro-rating is available for payment of 5 or more lessons within the same term.
Discounts are not applicable here.
Less than 5 lessons will be charged at Single Lesson rate (see below).
Not applicable for Beginner Level 1 Class and Pre-Pointe Class as both classes are meant to be taken as a whole course as this is where we lay the foundation of ballet steps and pointe work respectively.
All the other classes are on-going. Hence, the pro-rating.
15. How much is a Single Lesson for Tryout?S$25.00 per lesson.
[Not applicable for Beginner Level 1 and Pre-Pointe Classes.]
Do note this is Not a Private lesson.
Payment to be made in Cash directly to Mr Ng Kin Wee, 15 mins before class starts. Exact amount is always appreciated.
16. Can I just come to observe class?For the comfort of all our students, we regret that we are unable to allow observation of classes.
17. How do I register for class?To register for Class, kindly visit here.
18. How can I join your Pointe Class?Only current students of Ballet51 (from Level 1 upwards) are eligible to attend our Pointe Classes.
Pointe Class must be taken together with a Technique Class within the same term.
There are Pre-requisites for each Pointe Level. Do check it out here.
(Scroll down till you see “Pointe Class Pre-requisites and Progression”.)
19. Where are you located?We are renting a studio space from Singapore Ballet Academy @51 Waterloo Street #04-01.
We are a short distance from Bras Basah MRT Station and behind Singapore Arts Museum.
For more details, please visit here.
20. Is there Parking Available?Yes, there are various parking facilities.
For more details, please visit here.
Just scroll down to find it.
21. Refund PolicyFees paid are non-refundable. This is stated in every receipt emailed to you upon payment.
However, as a goodwill, we do refund when it is for Medical Reasons Only. Medical document(s) is/are then required for us to process the refund.
If the class you’re registered in is Full, we will only be able to refund 50% of the unused portion of your fees due to opportunity costs incurred as explained in item #9 above.
Unfortunately, we are unable to give refunds for work-related, school-related or personal issues. For these reasons, we have made providence for make up lessons and even allowing make up lessons to be completed well in advance within the Same Term. (See item #9 above for more details.)
22. Changes to Personal InfoIf there are any changes to your contact details, kindly update the information here or WhatsApp me.
24. Personal Data ProtectionThe Personal Data Protection Act 2012 (the “PDPA”) establishes a general data protection law in Singapore which governs the collection, use, and disclosure of individuals’ personal data by organisations. The PDPA contains 2 main sets of provisions, covering data protection and the Do Not Call registry (the “DNC”). The Do Not Call registry has come into effect on 2 January 2014 and the data protection provisions have taken effect on the 2 July 2014. If you have registered your Singapore telephone numbers, including mobile, fixed-line, residential and business numbers with the registry, the school is unable to contact you via these telephone number(s) for anything other than information related to your current registered classes.
By signing on the registration form during your first lesson, you agree that Ballet51 may collect, use and disclose your personal data as provided for the purpose (in accordance with the Personal Data Protection Act 2012) to process your registration application. Your continued attendance of classes, workshops, activities or productions shall deem to be your acceptance of our right to use your personal contact details currently available within the studio. To comply with the PDPA, we hereby seek your consent to use your personal contact details that you provided upon registration and currently available with the studio, including your phone numbers and email address for sending you information related to new events, studio activities, and promotions. This will allow us to keep you updated on the studio’s latest happenings, news-related messages, events, and promotions.
Be assured that your personal contact details will otherwise be kept confidential. Ballet51 will Not disclose your personal data unless for the reason(s) stated above. Hence, if you loan or borrow things to or from your classmates, please ask them directly for their contact info.
25. Right to admit, decline or dismiss student(s)Ballet51 Dance Studio reserves the right to admit, decline or dismiss any student(s) at its sole discretion.
26. Right to use photos and videosBallet51 Dance Studio reserves the right to use any photographs and videos taken from classes and Ballet51 performances for publicity and promotional activities. The Studio reserves all rights on the materials in any form of media. No copying or reproduction is allowed without prior permission sought from Ballet51 Dance Studio.